Reflection

YOU'RE IN THE REFLECTION PAGE

IDEAS FACTORY

11 SEPT

AS A SMALL GROUP

I am in a group of four and I see working in a small group benefits me more than working individually. We share different ideas and the things we gather in the classroom, which actually helps me to think of more ideas about the theme "Darwinism" and the two words "protect" and "rubber". For instance, I was only thinking about the solid form of rubber and it kept me thinking inside the box, however, when my group mate talks about the solid form of rubber, it arouses me to think more. 

CHALLENGES? BENEFITS?

There are challenges and benefits at the same time when working in a group. 

- We are not too familiar with each other yet, sometimes we are shy to share our ideas and question is it "making sense". But the situation is improving!! The ideas are brilliant actually, so we encourage each other to speak more about their thoughts, it makes the learning atmosphere better. 

- If there's any problem, we can always talk to each other and direct them/ourselves to a correct direction. During the thinking process, it can easily be thinking too much or way too far about the topic and the outcome may not be as good as we imagine. So I can benefit from working in a group, I won't be working too over. 

WORKING WITHOUT THE INTERNET

In this era, when we need anything the first thing come out to our mind is to search it on our phones and computers.  In today's lesson, we couldn't use the internet for any information, it actually allows us to follow our initial thoughts, in my opinion. We can just look through the window and let our surroundings inspire us to do things. Nonetheless, if we are using the internet, when we search "rubber", a list of things would just pop out, we would not even think deeply and our own thoughts might just disappear immediately. 

So I think that working without the internet does benefit us from generating more ideas. 

Explain the role of both primary and secondary research in the development of your idea?

Primary research is mostly about what materials we collect around the campus and the ideas/ concept we thought about without using the internet. 

Secondary research is the further research at the materials we are using in the project. for instance, the different kinds of rubber we will involve in this project, we are not familiar with how the rubber is made and the chemical stuff. 

I think both primary and secondary research is crucial to the development of my idea. As primary research, I didn't use the internet at all so it can help me write and sketch out all the relevant ideas in my head, without lending any excess information. On the other hand, secondary research made the project more perfect, it improves the detail of the work and makes it more possible to exist. 

12SEPT

When I wake up, I suddenly thought of, what if our sense are gone and all of the hearing and touching are gone, except sight. Is it kind of an evolution? (people don't need these senses anymore because they got other things to replace) or it'll make human going backward? 

We first gather around and talk about what we think of the project yesterday, then we started to look for all the materials and things that can benefit us from generating a new idea. 

13SEPT library session

I think it is quite hard to find books in the library that can totally relate to our project. At first, I found books about Darwinism, but actually, I don't need much deep information about it because I found that I just need to know the basic concept and theory.

14 SEPT group presentation day 

How successful is your group presentation? How could it be improved?

I think our group presentation has been run smoothly and well presented. We take turns to present each section of our idea, we explained the main idea and how it linked to the three concepts: Darwinism, protect and rubber properly. It shows how we think during the process and tries to use the opposite way to introduce the three words. (We showed how human evolve when they grow at overprotective surroundings.) We tried to show and help people find the "standard" of protecting and being overprotective. Also, danger will not be told before it really did happen. 

In the presentation, we draw a large scale of our idea and where the location will be to let our audiences understand better. On the other hand, we also drew a storyboard of how the machine will work inside "the womb" (our product).

Our teacher commented our "womb" concept is nice that she wanted to see it in real. It made us really happy as in the process of doing the project, every one of us wants "the womb" actually come true and test the machine ourselves. 

Nonetheless, our presenting time is a bit overrun, next time we should practice presenting within the time limit.

Also, we haven/t thought of the practical side of our exhibition. For instance, some people have mild claustrophobia or a heart attack when the rubber starts to contract.  

Our final product: "The womb"

When people go inside the womb, it's made out of rubber so it feels comfortable and warm with the lightings and surroundings. 

However, once they sat on the beanbag, which is placed inside the womb. The temperature will start to raise and the rubber will contract till a space that's alert you to get out of the womb. (The womb won't make you suffocate or die but just to let you feel the danger.) 

15SEPT

Reflection on my research

I've searched a lot about the topic, mostly about Darwinism and rubber. I know more about the making process and the usage of rubber in the industry. It's fun to find something we used a lot but never know about its background. However, the more

However, the more I know about the background and the different types of rubber, the more confused if I can use it onto my final project. The background and the history of rubber are just for research or it can be used onto the project? 

It's relatively hard to find books in the library related to making the product with "rubber". 

From this project, I noticed more about the surroundings. Noticing if there's something can be a part of my research and inspires me to think in a deeper meaning of "protect" and "rubber". I always think literally but not any further deep sense of thoughts. So I learned to think more and think out of the box on every occasion. 

(Also I learned to notice my surroundings, this is what I found in Dover street Market, it really looks like what we are doing in our project)  

IMG_0874.JPG

Dover Street Market 
Clothing store in London, England

Address18-22 Haymarket, London SW1Y 4DG

TYPE

18 SEPT

TODAY HAS INVOLVED WORKING WITH RESTRICTIONS TO WHAT EXTENT DID THIS AFFECT YOUR DESIGN PROCESS?

There's a lot of work restrictions in today's lesson. We cannot use more than a paper for the capital letter A and size restrictions, most importantly the time limit. I think it has greatly affected my design process. In a positive way, I don't have to concern more things and think it in a more complicated way. But in a negative way, as I struggles a lot when I'm designing my font, I was making it slower than everyone else. Also I try to fit myself into those restrictions. 

At first, I'm starting off with a simple design, like just folding to the letter A or just tearing off some parts of the paper to create the letter. I tried to follow the suggested ways of designing, for example making use of the lights. 

After that I wanted to add more imaginations into my font and to make it "my own kind of font", trying to be unique. I tried making them into a "human-like" letter A, adding some kind of "legs" and "hands" into the letter, my classmates can't realize the "human form" letter until I told them my idea. However, I feel like my letter is a bit childish, I am not sure if this is the right way for designing my font. 

Other classmates are doing such a great job and they play with lightings and shadows, or in a 3D form. I was inspired by one of my classmate's work, she cut out the letter in the middle of the paper and make it stand up. She used the 3D technique, and kind of minimalism. 

IMG_0955.JPGIMG_0951.JPGIMG_0958.JPG

So after my lunch, I started to work on my font (Frankenstein). I wanted my font in being a little "fierce", something like a monster and having sharpened teeth. So I chose to use Frankenstein as my font name. This is the first-word pop out in my mind after I think of something similar to monster. 

location? right choice?

I wanted my atmosphere to be creepy and dark, to create a 'Frankenstein' environment. So I look for a corner to be my location, but the corner around the classroom is not dark enough, the lightings are quite even and flat. I run out of time to buy a black cardboard and make a space myself. So I decided to just go for the black floor, right below the heater. I turned on the torch on my phone and using the flash when I took the photo, I think the outcome is quite satisfactory. However, I do think I should have a stronger light source for the letters to stand out and the atmosphere will be more mysterious and dark. 

IMG_0968.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

The teacher reminds me that always think about "communication", I have to be able to communicate with the audience that is looking at my product.  

Beware of the materials, such as papers, tapes etc. Like taping the work in a horizontal line to make it look neat, or if there's anything behind the meaning of not taping it horizontally. I have never aware of these little details, sometimes I just look at the whole picture of aesthetic instead of giving more meaning and transfer it to the audience. 

19th SEPT 

How have today's tasks made you think about your letterform in a different way? 

I think of letterform more in a 3D way than in a 2D way. When you're making a 3D typeface, people will always look at your word in different angles, they will walk around and see if there's any difference of seeing it in a different angle. It is so rare for me to make 3D stuff because I always fail to make it beautiful and nice. However, I found that making them 3D actually can have a more realistic kind of feeling of the letter, also it is easier to add meaning into the letterform with those little details. 

What did you learn today?

I've learned how to use the adobe illustrator. I tried to use this software before, however, I didn't know how to operate it well. Today I learned something basic and simple but very useful. I will try to use more illustrator software for constructing different graphics. 

How will you use that learning to help you in future?

Probably I can start using illustrator for constructing logo and posers in the future. It is a lot more nice to show my work on a computer than only drawing out the work. 

poster; Frankenstein typeface

(this is the final piece, where I finally figure how to add some "lights" at the back of the word and also add a sense of creepy feeling) (I actually get the idea form Stranger Things logo, their logo is fantastic because it is so simple yet feeling a strong sense of mysterious)

IMG_1049.JPG

21SEPT

Purpose of crit? How it benefits you for the future projects?

giving somebody to see your artwork and explain the process of making. When I'm making the typeface, I may drench into my own thoughts and couldn't see the negative side of my "typeface". People can point out those mistakes and let the typeface be nicer to look at or also let the meaning behind be more obvious. 

For example, my classmates gave me suggestions like putting my words in an escalating position or putting it ups and downs. As the word "Frankenstein" is too long, even the poster is in the landscape. 

How effective were your outcomes? Add meaning and feeling to your letter successfully?

Not as well as I thought it would be. I'm not good at using the illustrator so I just simply add a black background and also a sharp yellow letter, for the scary and mysterious feeling. 

How would you improve your outcomes if you were to revisit them? 

Originally my letters have a frame in it. If I'm going to revisit them, I would like to just keep the pointy angles in the words and also adding a gothic font style. 

POETIC CARDBOARD

Social + Projection

25 SEPT 

How does a design context change the nature of our work?

It thinks context matters the most in our work as if the context is wrong or we got the wrong information from the original word, it could mislead everybody and even ourselves. It is a strong part to show what our focus is on our project. 
What potential role or function might our work have outside this project?

I think the function of this project is not only about aesthetic and how great the effects are. The function is really about the message we wanted to brings out, don't tag others in a certain way and put them into "society boxes".
How do our own lives and experiences inform our work?
our project is about how the society only looks at one point of view or even having "racist". In my home country, Hong Kong, people used to judge when people have vibrant colors of hair or when people wear special outfits, they are usually be labeled as "bad kids". You then have to adjust yourself to fit into those society "boxes" in order to let people accept you. I myself wanted to bleach my hair to various of colors. I was abandoned for bleaching my hair to pink, you may think it's so weird for why rejecting it?
What did I learn from the success and failures of others?

JEBI posing for our video and image

TESTING PHOTO
FullSizeRender 13.jpg

27 SEPT

On Wednesday. We got the teacher's feedback on our unfinished video and keep on working it. We shot some of the clips indoor and edit. (Some photos of Jebi's different facial expression).

As we did the shooting right after teacher's feedback, I actually feel that it is hard to instruct the model to do the right facial expression. When I say make a sad face, our model did something not match to the things I imagined, which is something hard to describe by words. So I can realize why the teacher say giving a reference photo is so important during the photo shooting or the movie, to show what we ideally want. However, we cannot finish shooting all the parts we needed, as our model Jebi is not available. 

We edited most of the video and the effect needed at home. 

The interview scene and the soundtrack, (repeating black man and some of the other keywords.)

28SEPT

On Thursday. It is the day we have crit. 

We all dated early in the morning, trying to get the shooting and editing done. (no.. actually we must get it done within that morning) 

We went to one of the darkroom in Archway campus to shoot the part which we have to project the screen on Jebi's body. It is quite hard to manage to do all these things. As there is light coming through the door window, we need to adjust the correct position for the projector, keep on pressing the play button on the computer and also film it the screen with our phone. 

Firstly, we asked Alastair to help to cover the door window, which solved one of the problems. Then when we filmed the screen, my phone always can't focus properly, and I should shoot horizontally where the rectangle fits right with the projector screen. It is so hard to adjust the correct position as I may block some of the screens when I move near to the projector. 

At the end,  we managed to finish filming. However, it is a pity that the ending is not as perfect as I thought. Originally, we wanted to have some people sticking post it to Jebi's body for representing the society think "black man" is a problem that has to be fixed. But we replaced it by playing the soundtrack ( Jebi saying problem to be fixed) and have him look at the side and look right to the camera as the ending.

I think everyone's work is a success! Everyone did a really good job in their video. Especially I love the one who is talking about not to waste the water. They played a background music of somebody taking shower, with a black screen and ask people what did they think about. It's a really good opening to get people focus on and get people curious. I've never thought of we can use questions as our beginning. When I'm still in secondary school, The teacher always teaches us to use a question to start the composition. It's actually using the same technique in short clips making also! On the other hand, they filmed water dripping from a boy's back, (the water is mixed with coffee and makes it look a bit like blood). So at first, I thought it's about self-harming and suicide problems. When they zoom out and we see the whole picture, we then can understand so quickly that it's discussing the overuse of water. I'm really inspired and felt amazed by this 30 sec video, as it keeps me thinking about the content and exclaimed at the photography skills. Some video will just be "wow" and admired at the aesthetic image, but this video really does lead people to think during we watch. I learned the most from this video is I wanted to trigger people to think more if I have a chance to produce another video again.

FINAL VIDEO 

PRINTMAKING

1 OCTOBER

My trip to Camden Town. As an international student, it is a really good chance for me to explore a bit of London. I really like the vibe of vintage so I decided to go to Camden Town, according to Google's suggestion. I have totally no idea about the day of Camden Town, I didn't plan ahead and didn't do any research on it. I wanted myself to be interested in every single thing of Camden Town without first knowing what it is. I let my curiosity lead my way. my artwork, waiting to be dried ...

At first, when I arrive at Camden Town, I was at the side of Camden market, where they sell really delicious food and also having a beautiful scenery, it is totally out of my expectation as it is not as vintage as I thought ( at the end I found that I got out at the wrong spot of Camden, I should've been to the vintage stores in the front side..... The side effect of not planning ahead). But I think it is still okay for me to walk around because the surroundings are still very beautiful and nice. Most of the photos I took is the buildings and the scenery, I wanted to capture some human faces and ask about how's their day in Camden to add it to my printmaking. However, at the moment of wanting to talk with some people, it started to rain very very heavily. ( Another side effect of not planning ahead). So I ended up going back home and organize what photos I got. 

3 OCTOBER

We are taught to simplify our images into 10 shapes, 5 shapes, and only 2 shapes. I found this really hard for me because I didn't know how to simplify my pictures, it felt like every single detail are important for me. I like to draw out really realistic architecture and the details of it, so it looks a bit hard. However, at the end, I managed to make those images into a simpler form, because I learnt how to choose the most important part of the image and just let people focusing on it. It is actually really important to do that as we couldn't put out every single detail out in printmaking or else it will make the image very busy.

In afternoon, we are taught to cut our plates. It is very hard to me because when you have to wanted it to leave as solid white, you have to cut in 45 degrees and take the first plate out in order to leave it solid white. 

CHALLENGES - WHAT WORKED / WHAT DIDN'T?

I got a lot of challenges in this project to be honest. I am not too familiar with printmaking and also with the cutting part. I have hurted myself for serveral times when cutting the board. Also, there are too many fine lines that I always accidentally cut wrong. There's a part used to be solid black but i Accidentally cut it out which makes it become greyish. So I had to buy another cardboard and make it all over again. 

DISCOVERIES - CONTRAST IN IMAGE, DEPTH, FOREGROUND, MIDGROUND, BACKGROUND

I found that the background has to be more simplified in order to let the foreground stand out. If it is not simplified enough and your foreground is also full of lines, the whole drawing will be messy and feels a bit difficult to be seen. 

DOES THE IMAGE MEET YOUR AIMS AND INTENTIONS?

I think the image didn't really meet my aims and intentions.  

After the board is being inked, some of the parts is still very blurry, I am not sure if it is the inking problem or it is about I didn't cut deep enough.  

DOES THE IMAGE CAPTURE YOUR INTENDED STORY?

Yes, I think the image did capture my intended story.  I showed another side of camden town, with the flowers and aesthetic things. 

HOW WELL DID YOU MANAGE YOUR TIME? – DID YOUR IMAGE NEED SIMPLIFYING?

I think I managed my time well. I have enough time to cut the board and to ink it on time. My image needs to be simplified, the background is still too busy before I changed it, they are too many lines and it is hard to present it when it is inked. 

my artwork, waiting to be dried ...

IMG_1665.JPGIMG_1664.JPG

It was being inked for twice. The first time I think both the pressure and ink is not enough, so a lot of places are being remained blurry and a foggy effect. 

The next inking is a lot better, the architectures at the back are much more clear and you can see some of the parts are solid black. 

However, it was still not the perfect piece as there are many unexpected foggy effects areas. I think the problem is I didn't carve as deep as it should be when the place I wanted to be solid white. 

REFLECTION - MISTAKE  

There's a few mistake I made in this project and it reminds me to avoid them in the following projects.

1. no process photo

I didn't take any photo when I'm drawing the draft or the process of cutting the board. So when I'm doing the workflow or the sketchbook, I can't show any picture of why I feel the difficulty or why it was not presented perfectly. It feels like something is missing or some detail is being missed when you just look at my sketchbook. So I will make sure I take photos of my process next time. 

2. make plans 

At first, I didn't plan too much, just only make sure my background has to be a foggy texture and solid black at the architectures. However, I didn't plan for the overlapping parts, so many of the fine lines are being cut and I can't see the structure of flowers and leaves. And I bought another cardboard and make it all over again. 

So the moral of this story is to make plans ahead, as sometimes you won't have any extra time to redo the work.

LAYOUT

9th Sept 

How was the project today helped you to think about layout in new ways?

Firstly we are told to cut out all the texts and images from the newspaper and to see the structure of how the editor put the news and how they set the margins or clusters into the newspaper. This is the most common way of showing the grids. However, when we are doing the primary research grid around the campus, I found that actually grid is not only existing in papers only. We can find grids even in vending machines and the drinking fridge, the floor and on leaf surprisingly. So I'm learning not to think only in a certain way and think out of the box, because it may inspire us more and explore a lot more on that certain topic. 

IMG_1799.JPG

What do you think the benefits are of working on text + image compositions using analog (non-digital) processes? 

Sometimes using the digital device for working on the text we may rely on the font choice and also the restrictions that were originally applied to the computer. I will be lazier on creating my own image, instead, I'll use the existing geometry shapes for the grids. If I didn't explore first, what I think of is only squares and rectangles kind of grid. (even when you search online, all the grids on the internet are only these...) 

However, through drawing on paper, I will just follow what I see and sketch it. Actually, I resulted in a lot of different angles and special grids from it. 

if you search grids online, almost all of the photos are this kind of squares and rectangles. So I think that we can really inspire by not using online searching but look at our surroundings.  

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 11.45.09 PM.png

Reflection on my research

I mainly search the layout from magazines, especially from fashion magazines. I found that they will use a lot of layouts and colors in their magazine to make things more attractive. And every magazine got their own style in it which makes it more interesting. Some magazines like nylon japan, they use really vibrant colors and also words in different fonts. But some of them just keep a minimalistic style, they will just add the photo in the middle, leaving the background in 1 color, and also descriptions in the bottom. 

Front cover of my booklet

back cover of my booklet

I actually really enjoy doing this project, I love making a different kind of collage and layouts. People will experiment with different kinds of textures and colors. 

INTERACT

21 OCTOBER

I read about the project brief in moodle and thought about the interact with graphic design in our daily life. At first, I tried not to use the internet to search for anything that people will usually interact with graphic communication design on an everyday basis. I looked around my room and kitchen and found that the cereal box, carton of milk, and other food which have the graphic on the package. It is the thing I usually will interact daily. On the other hand, television commercials and also the social media is also another interact we will usually use or see every day. 

I documented the graphics which I saw and wrote it in my sketchbook. 

22OCTOBER

I went to the brick lane market for more reference photos and I actually found something that was drawn in the sink of a shops' bathroom. It was colorful and some doodlings, which make it very interesting, as when every customer washes their hands they will notice at this cute illustration. Also, I found another graffiti that was drawn on the drain, it kind of carries a political message with some prisoner's hands. we first talked with the groups of four about what we researched about interact. I found that everyone's interact is quite special and not like mine: which are mostly in museums and what we use in daily life. One of the examples is quite interesting, the picture shows that many children are sitting in a paper bag. A famous brand of paper bag. It actually reflects that people spend a huge amount of money buying big brands or designing more expensive things for the consumer to buy, but they never thought of helping the children in need. Like helping them to go to school and learn. I think it is a really good interact and reflecting a deep meaning. 

I wanted to put the photos on my research page, unfortunately, it was very unlucky that my camera and wallet has been stolen from it.

23 OCTOBER

we first talked with the groups of four about what we researched about interact. I found that everyone's interact is quite special and not like mine: which are mostly in museums and what we use in daily life. One of the examples is quite interesting, the picture shows that many children are sitting in a paper bag. A famous brand of paper bag. It actually reflects that people spend a huge amount of money buying big brands or designing more expensive things for the consumer to buy, but they never thought of helping the children in need. Like helping them to go to school and learn. I think it is a really good interact and reflecting a deep meaning. 

We then were given a quote and have to start working on this quote. Our quote is 

THERE IS NO EASY WAY OF BECOMING A GOOD PAINTER

- Joshua Reynolds

we got mostly the same idea and thoughts in this quote, it is quite straightforward so I think this is the reason we can quickly connect each other thought. We took the picture of "evolution", also showing how people improve in different stages. We got great feedback and praises from it. 

IMG_2367.JPG.1people are arching their back and then slowly archless, like the evolution of ape to a human being.

All in all, I quite like this group, as we communicate well and we all listen to each other's thoughts. The next step os to think of the project we are going to carry on outside of our classroom. We tested out a few "challenge" that we may try. We wanted to ask people to take a challenge either with their elbow, blindfolded or opposite hand and draw a shape out.

testingimages 

IMG_2357.JPG.1IMG_2364.JPGIMG_2360.JPG

the upper row, a circle. Ivy drew it with her opposite hand. 

the lower role, a square. I drew it with my elbow. 

You can see that there are crooked lines and the lines didn't match with closing the circle. 

However, in the last one, it is way better than the first one. It is not perfect, but at least it is rounder than the first one. 

We crunched the first one to express we are not satisfied with the outcome, and crunched a little on the second one to represent that it is still not good but a bit better than the first one. And the last one for the progress we had. 

preparation IMG_2392.JPGIMG_2399.JPGIMG_2398.JPGIMG_2394.JPG

ART CHALLENGE: We will request people to draw three shapes on three different sheets of paper, and also using a part of our body. Example, drawing circles with elbows and drawing squares with eyes closed and drawing triangle with opposite hand. Somewhere we didn't use before to write or draw, this will increase the difficulty of the challenge.  

PURPOSE: we will ask them to draw three times.  On the first attempt, the shapes will be a bit messy and look ugly, but it will improve on the second attempt and the third one. 

OUTCOME: It can show them that if you can improve in just drawing the shapes in 1 minute, you can definitely improve yourself in drawing a few years or even few months, so just keep on trying until you are feeling successful. Also, we request them to draw in different body parts is because when you are not familiar with it, it is more convincing. It's like learning something from 0% knowledge, for instance, learning a whole new instrument, you'll feel confused, but later on you may result in being a famous musician.  

24 OCTOBER

We then carry out our project at the Tate museum. However one of our groupmates was sick so she is unable to join us for the project. It is quite challenging for finding people to take the challenges, we are first rejected by a group of teenagers. Then we tried out to ask children around 6 years old or some even younger to take the challenge for us. However, after we looked at the paper carefully, we found that some of the shapes are actually better at the first try than in the third one, which is out of our expectations. Our initial aim is to let them have improvement between the first drawing and third drawing. We then tried to ask some grown-ups for a comparison, they drew the shapes more accurately. But we still found out the same problem, which is the shapes are not improving, instead, some of them are becoming worse. On the next day (25 OCTOBER), we asked students in csm to take a part of this challenge. It is relevantly better because they understand the rules and the expectation. Unfortunately, we have to say most of the challenges are not like what we are expected, they are quite random. We also drew a conclusion that when they had their first attempt, they will be more careful and think a bit more in the second one which results in them drawing slower, it may affect their outcome. 

WHITE SPACE

30 OCTOBER

Blindfold part:

I think it is quite interesting for us to get blindfolded. We were lead by someone we don't know and just talk what are our feelings about white space.

I think being blindfolded is actually an advantage for thinking. Firstly, I can only hear other's voice, so I have to use analyze if they are talking in a joyful tone or a criticizing tone, I'll then imagine what they said as a picture in my head. Sometimes when you can't see any image, only using your imagination, you can think of a lot more things, because when you look at a certain thing, it actually restricts you from thinking broadly. I quite like this experience of being blindfolded, it also makes me more concentrate to hear other's talking.  

The only thing I don't like about the blindfolded process is it made me feel a bit of claustrophobic fear and also the texture of the blindfold is very uncomfortable. But in all, it is a very nice experience. 

Which part of the day's tasks (blind fold, white shapes) did you find difficult and why?

I find the white spaces is quite difficult. To be honest, I'm quite lost at that part. We went out to collect lots of white space that can be deleted or to erase for people to guess, or just record or measure, think of materials. I collected lots of shadows, paper masks and also the shatter of the glass.

And the photo I took for the strategy test is to collect the sunlight and also the shadows. I wanted to let people understand the meaning of make absence as a present.  IMG_2631.JPGIMG_2646.JPG.1 

I put some cotton inside which are being burnt and I burnt the inner side of the plastic bottle to create some vapor inside. Then I put these under the sunlight, as what you can see in the photo. It is quite simple, I didn't use a lot of materials to represent I'm collecting the sunlight, it is the only way I thought of sunlight. If we don't have sunlight, not only the world is in dark, we wouldn't feel the warmth also. I wanted to show people that we have to appreciate the things surrounding us. Not only something physical like food. 

However, this idea doesn't work. I then tried out another form of recording in my sketchbook. As I thought of collecting something absence, I thought of collecting the thoughts of what people think of themselves or the things they criticize others. 

What effect does formulating a manifesto or set of rules have on a designer?Formulating a manifesto can sometimes stopping ourselves at overthinking in my opinion. The designer can limit themselves to the rules and have a control of things. We can push ourselves to the boundaries of those rules and see what we can achieve within those rules. 

My manifesto: Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 4.58.05 AM.png

31 OCTOBER

the following day that I'm going to carry on my project. I bought all the things I need and tried to film it at home. Because it is quite a late night and I had to refilmed it for so many times to get the perfect video, So I decided to film it myself. However, with the lack of equipment, I have to use other things to replace from a tripod. I had to pour the acrylic onto the mask and film the dripping effects, it looks quite nice when the acrylic was being poured. The only thing is I think the lack of various colors because I couldn't buy a large bottle of acrylic, they are always only in a small bottle of it. 

Besides the colors, another thing I surely have to improve is my time management. I filmed for the video too long that I'm quite rush to trim and cut the video. 

Reflection of visiting British museum

14 OCTOBER 

It is the first time for me going to the British Museum.

Firstly, I really love British museum, because there are many kinds of drawing and different countries' artwork are being stored in this museum. It's a pity that I can only walk half of the museum because of the time limit. 

I got some research about the printmaking process and also the layout of the old books and newspaper which immediately make me thought of the printmaking project.

On the other hand, there is an area putting all the preserved corpse, which gave me a deep impression. I was really shocked by looking at this as it shown a man died more than 5500 years ago. However, I could really see the wound and also the "face" of the man, not like other preserved bodies which are just skeletons and looked a bit fake. 

"from British museum description: Gebelein man Middle Predynastic 3500 BC 

This man died more than 5500 years ago. He was buried at Gebelein in upper Egypt, where he was found in a shallow grave covered with stone slabs, as partly reconstructed here. his body was naturally mummified by rapidly drying in the hot desert sand. This also preserved his hair, but its colour has probably faded with time." 

IMG_2054.JPG.1

http://britishmuseum.org

Address: Great Russell St, Bloomsbury, London WC1B 3DG