Collection: Part 1

Reflection

"Look at your surroundings" and you may find something inspiring **took in Dover Street Market

11th Sept IDEAS FACTORY

WORKING AS A SMALL GROUP

I am in a group of four and I see working in a small group benefits me more than working individually. We share different ideas and the things we gather in the classroom, which actually helps me to think of more ideas about the theme "Darwinism" and the two words "protect" and "rubber". For instance, I was only thinking about the solid form of rubber and it kept me thinking inside the box, however, when my group mate talks about the solid form of rubber, it arouses me to think more. 

CHALLENGES? BENEFITS?

There are challenges and benefits at the same time when working in a group. 

- We are not too familiar with each other yet, sometimes we are shy to share our ideas and question is it "making sense". But the situation is improving!! The ideas are brilliant actually, so we encourage each other to speak more about their thoughts, it makes the learning atmosphere better. 

- If there's any problem, we can always talk to each other and direct them/ourselves to a correct direction. During the thinking process, it can easily be thinking too much or way too far about the topic and the outcome may not be as good as we imagine. So I can benefit from working in a group, I won't be working too over. 

WORKING WITHOUT THE INTERNET

In this era, when we need anything the first thing come out to our mind is to search it through our phones and computers.  In today's lesson, we couldn't use the internet for any information, it actually allows us to follow our initial thoughts, in my opinion. We can just look through the window and let our surroundings inspire us to do things. Nonetheless, if we are using the internet, when we search "rubber", a list of things would just pop out, we would not even think deeply and our own thoughts might just disappear immediately. 

So I think that working without the internet does benefit us from generating more ideas. 

14th Sept

How successful is your group presentation? How could it be improved?

I think our group presentation has been run smoothly and well presented. We take turns to present each section of our idea, we explained the main idea and how it linked to the three concepts: Darwinism, protect and rubber properly. It shows how we think during the process and tries to use the opposite way to introduce the three words. (We showed how human evolve when they grow at overprotective surroundings.) We tried to show and help people find the "standard" of protecting and being overprotective. Also, danger will not be told before it really did happen. 

In the presentation, we draw a large scale of our idea and where the location will be to let our audiences understand better. On the other hand, we also drew a storyboard of how the machine will work inside "the womb" (our product).

Our teacher commented our "womb" concept is nice that she wanted to see it in real. It made us really happy as in the process of doing the project, every one of us wants "the womb" actually come true and test the machine ourselves. 

Nonetheless, our presenting time is a bit overrun, next time we should practice presenting within the time limit.

Also, we haven/t thought of the practical side of our exhibition. For instance, some people have mild claustrophobia or a heart attack when the rubber starts to contract.  

Our final product: "The womb"

When people go inside the womb, it's made out of rubber so it feels comfortable and warm with the lightings and surroundings. 

However, once they sat on the beanbag, which is placed inside the womb. The temperature will start to raise and the rubber will contract till a space that's alert you to get out of the womb. (The womb won't make you suffocate or die but just to let you feel the danger.) 

Explain the role of both primary and secondary research in the development of your idea?

Primary research is mostly about what materials we collect around the campus and the ideas/ concept we thought about without using the internet. 

Secondary research is the further research at the materials we are using in the project. for instance, the different kinds of rubber we will involve in this project, we are not familiar with how the rubber is made and the chemical stuff. 

I think both primary and secondary research is crucial to the development of my idea. As primary research, I didn't use the internet at all so it can help me write and sketch out all the relevant ideas in my head, without lending any excess information. On the other hand, secondary research made the project more perfect, it improves the detail of the work and make it more possible to exist. 

How the visualisation process evolve the idea?

When we draw the final project out, there's always something different from what we imagine. 

Reflection from my research

I've searched a lot about the topic, mostly about Darwinism and rubber. I know more about the making process and the usage of rubber in the industry. It's fun to find about something we used a lot, but never know about its background. However, the more

However, the more i know about the background and the different types of rubber, the more confused if I can use it onto my final project. The background and the history of rubber is just for research or it can be used onto the project? 

It's relatively hard to find books in the library related to making the product with "rubber". 

From this project, I noticed more about the surroundings. Noticing if there's something can be a part of my research and inspires me to think in a deeper meaning of "protect" and "rubber". I always think literally but not any further deep sense of thoughts. So I learned to think more and think out of the box in every occasions. 

poster; frankenstein typeface

18th Sept TYPE

TODAY HAS INVOLVED WORKING WITH RESTRICTIONS TO WHAT EXTENT DID THIS AFFECT YOUR DESIGN PROCESS?

There's a lot of work restrictions in today's lesson. We cannot use more than a paper for the capital letter A and size restrictions, most importantly the time limit. I think it has greatly affected my design process. In a positive way, I don't have to concern more things and think it in a more complicated way. But in a negative way, as I struggles a lot when I'm designing my font, I was making it slower than everyone else. Also I try to fit myself into those restrictions. 

At first, I'm starting off with a simple design, like just folding to the letter A or just tearing off some parts of the paper to create the letter. I tried to follow the suggested ways of designing, for example making use of the lights. 

After that I wanted to add more imaginations into my font and to make it "my own kind of font", trying to be unique. I tried making them into a "human-like" letter A, adding some kind of "legs" and "hands" into the letter, my classmates can't realize the "human form" letter until I told them my idea. However, I feel like my letter is a bit childish, I am not sure if this is the right way for designing my font. 

Other classmates are doing such a great job and they play with lightings and shadows, or in a 3D form. I was inspired by one of my classmate's work, she cut out the letter in the middle of the paper and make it stand up. She used the 3D technique, and kind of minimalism. 

So after my lunch, I started to work on my font (Frankenstein). 

I wanted my font in being a little "fierce", something like a monster and having sharpened teeth. So I chose to use Frankenstein as my font name. This is the first-word pop out in my mind after I think of something similar to monster. 

location? right choice?

I wanted my atmosphere to be creepy and dark, to create a 'Frankenstein' environment. So I look for a corner to be my location, but the corner around the classroom is not dark enough, the lightings are quite even and flat. I run out of time to buy a black cardboard and make a space myself. So I decided to just go for the black floor, right below the heater. I turned on the torch on my phone and using the flash when I took the photo, I think the outcome is quite satisfactory. However, I do think I should have a stronger light source for the letters to stand out and the atmosphere will be more mysterious and dark. 

The teacher reminds me that always think about "communication", I have to be able to communicate with the audience that is looking at my product.  

Beware of the materials , such as papers, tapes etc. Like taping the work in a horizontal line to make it look neat, or if there's anything behind the meaning of not taping it horizontally. I have never aware of these little details, sometimes I just look at the whole picture of aesthetic instead of giving more meaning and transfer it to the audience. 

19th Sept

How have today's tasks made you think about your letterform in a different way? 

More in a 3D way than in a 2D way. When you're making a 3D typeface, people will always look at your word in different angles. So I will like to look at my words in a different angle and also adding meanings. 

What did you learn today?

I've learnt how to use the adobe illustrator. I tried to use this software before, however, I didn't know how to operate it well. Today I learnt something basic and simple but very useful. 

How will you use that learning to help you in future?

Probably I can start using illustrator for constructing logo and posers in the future. It is a lot more nice to show my work in a computer than only drawing out the work. 

21st Sept

Purpose of crit? How it benefits you for the future projects?

giving somebody to see your artwork and explain the process of making. When I'm making the typeface, I may drench into my own thoughts and couldn't see the negative side of my "typeface". People can point out those mistakes and let the typeface be nicer to look at or also let the meaning behind be more obvious. 

For example, my classmates gave me suggestions like putting my words in an escalating position or putting it ups and downs. As the word "frankenstein" is too long, even  the poster is in landscape. 

How effective were your outcomes? Add meaning and feeling to your letter successfully?

Not as well as I thought it would be. I'm not good at using the illustrator so I just simply add black background and also sharp yellow letter, for the scary and mysterious feeling. 

How would you improve your outcomes if you were to revisit them? 

Originally my letters have a frame in it. If I'm going to revisit them, I would like to just keep the pointy angles in the words and also adding a gothic font style into. 

JEBI posing for our video and image.

trying different poses

25th Sept IMAGE

How does a design context change the nature of our work?

What potential role or function might our work have outside this project?

I think the function of this project is not only about aesthetic and how great the effects are. The function is really about the message we wanted to brings out, don't tag others in a certain way and put them into "society boxes".
How do our own lives and experiences inform our work?
our project is about how the society only looks at one point of view or even having "racist". In my home country, Hong Kong, people used to judge when people have vibrant colors of hair or when people wear special outfits, they are usually be labeled as "bad kids". You then have to adjust yourself to fit into those society "boxes" in order to let people accept you. I myself wanted to bleach my hair to various of colours. I was abandoned for bleaching my hair to pink, you may think it's so weird and
What did I learn from the success and failures of others?
I think everyone's work is a success! Everyone did a really good job in their video. Especially I love the one who is talking about not to waste the water. They played a background music of somebody taking shower, with a black screen and ask people what did they think about. It's a really good opening to get people focus on and get people curious. I've never thought of we can use questions as our beginning. When I'm still in secondary school, The teacher always teaches us to use a question to start the composition. It's actually using the same technique in short clips making also! On the other hand, they filmed water dripping from a boy's back, (the water is mixed with coffee and makes it look a bit like blood). So at first, I thought it's about self-harming and suicide problems. When they zoom out and we see the whole picture, we then can understand so quickly that it's discussing the overuse of water. I'm really inspired and felt amazed by this 30 sec video, as it keeps me thinking about the content and exclaimed at the photography skills. Some video will just be "wow" and admired at the aesthetic image, but this video really does lead people to think during we watch. I learned the most from this video is I wanted to trigger people to think more if I have a chance to produce another video again.

27th Sept

On Wednesday. We got the teacher's feedback of our unfinished video and keep on working it. We shot some of the clips indoor and edit. (Some photos of Jebi's different facial expression).

As we did the shooting right after teacher's feedback, I actually feel that it is hard to instruct the model to do the right facial expression. When I say make a sad face, our model did something not match to the things I imagined, which is something hard to describe by words. So I can realise why the teacher say giving a reference photo is so important during the photo shooting or the movie, to show what we ideally want. However, we cannot finish shooting all the parts we needed, as our model Jebi is not available. 

We edited most of the video and the effect needed at home. 

The interview scene and the soundtrack, (repeating black man and some of the other keywords.)

On Thursday. It is the day we have crit. 

We all dated early in the morning, trying to get the shooting and editing done. (no.. actually we must get it done within that morning) 

We went to one of the darkroom in Archway campus to shoot the part which we have to project the screen on Jebi's body. It is quite hard to manage doing all these things. As there is light coming through the door window, we need to adjust the correct position for the projector, keep on pressing play button on the computer and also film it screen with our phone. 

Firstly, we asked Alestair to help covering the door window, which solved one of the problem. Then when we filmed the screen, my phone always can't focus properly, and I should shoot horizontally where the rectangle fits right with the projector screen. It is so hard to adjust the correct position as I may block some of the screen when i move near to the projector. 

At the end,  we managed to finish filming. However, it is a pity that the ending is not as perfect as I thought. Origially, we wanted to have some people sticking post it to Jebi's body for representing the society think "black man" is a problem that have to be fixed. But we replaced it by playing the soundtrack ( Jebi saying problem to be fixed) and have him look at the side and look right to the camera as the ending. 

testing photos

2nd October PRINTMAKING

CHALLENGES -  WHAT DIDN'T 

The hardest part for me is to cut the board. I am really not good at making things or cutting things. I tend to be careless and there are many fine lines are accidentally cut off, I have to glue it back together. 

WHAT WORKED

I'm glad that I put the flowers in front of the architecture, I think it is a risk initially as it doesn't really make sense of putting buildings and flowers, as others are putting human and buildings or human and typography together. But when my draft is done, I actually think it looks good. 

DISCOVERIES - CONTRAST IN IMAGE, DEPTH, FOREGROUND, MIDGROUND, BACKGROUND

Sometimes when you want your foreground to be focused or to be the main object in your drawing. You have to make the background either a bit more simple or more complicated, depending on how is the foreground. It can make the contrast more obvious and have harmony in the picture. 

DOES THE IMAGE MEET YOUR AIMS + INTENTIONS?

the printed image does not meet my aims. the image is quite blurry and some of the lines are not that clear. in my mind, I wanted to be all the things clear and easy to be seen. However, parts like the background and the flowers are overlapping, it is not clear at all. The only problem I guess is because I didn't cut the parts well. When the parts have to be solid white, actually you have to dig in quite deep to have a "hole" in order not to have ink inside. I've already tried my best and even accidentally cut my hands for several times, I still can't make a perfect board cutting. 

DOES THE IMAGE CAPTURE YOUR INTENDED STORY?

I think the image can capture most of my intended story. My location is going to Camden Town, everyone's idea of Camden town is very crowded and a vintage kind of feel. But I found a place which is less "Camden" and having more flowers and a "garden style". I wanted to show another kind of Camden to everyone. 

DID YOUR IMAGE NEED SIMPLIFY 

yes, I have to simplify my image. The background of my picture is an architecture if I draw all the details of the buildings out, the outcome will look so messy. 

REFLECTION - MISTAKE  

There's a few mistake I made in this project and it reminds me to avoid them in the following projects.

1. no process photo

I didn't take any photo when I'm drawing the draft or the process of cutting the board. So when I'm doing the workflow or the sketchbook, I can't show any picture of why I feel the difficulty or why it was not presented perfectly. It feels like something is missing or some detail is being missed when you just look at my sketchbook. So I will make sure I take photos of my process next time. 

2. make plans 

At first, I didn't plan too much, just only make sure my background has to be a foggy texture and solid black at the architectures. However, I didn't plan for the overlapping parts, so many of the fine lines are being cut and I can't see the structure of flowers and leaves. And I bought another cardboard and make it all over again. 

So the moral of this story is to make plans ahead, as sometimes you won't have any extra time to redo the work.

My artwork. Waiting to be dried.

It was being inked for twice. The first time I think both the pressure and ink is not enough, so a lot of places are being remained blurry and a foggy effect. 

THe next inking is a lot better, the architectures at the back are much more clear and you can see some of the parts are solid black. 

However, it was still not the perfect piece as there are many unexpected foggy effects areas. I think the problem is I didn't carve as deep as it should be when the place I wanted to be solid white. 

Front cover of my booklet

Teacher's feedback: the cover is not too match with the content inside, and the digital clock made her think of a bomb. But the content inside is very colorful and really try out a lot of things. 

The feel I want to bring out is how Camden Town makes me feel. It is a very joyful and having a lot of vibrant colors. The digital clock kind of representing Camden town is a place you can relax and get out of a working place, a "play time" sort of feel. It is also the time I visit Camden. 

The thing I think teacher felt it didn't match is because of the frame color. The frame color is a bit soft, not like the color inside which is so vibrant and strong. Maybe I would like to change the color of the frame to bright yellow or bright blue. 

back cover of my booklet

the back cover is actually a mistake. I thought that it will be page 7 but when it prints out, I suddenly remember it is the back cover. 

Part of me thinks that it is not okay to put this page as the back cover, as it is totally one of the content. 

But another part of me thinks it's not a must for having a back cover like the traditional magazines or the booklet. I can just jump out of the boxes and create my own kind of booklet. 

9th Sept LAYOUT

How was the project today helped you to think about layout in new ways?

Firstly we are told to cut out all the texts and images from the newspaper and to see the structure of how the editor put the news and how they set the margins or clusters into the newspaper. This is the most common way of showing the grids. However, when we are doing the primary research of grid around the campus, I found that actually grid is not only existing in papers only. We can find grids even in vending machines and the drinking fridge, the floor and on leaf surprisingly. So I'm learning not to think only in a certain way and think out of the box, because it may inspire us more and explore a lot more in that certain topic. 

If you search grids online, almost all of the photos are these kind of squares and rectangles. So I think that we can really inspire by not using online searching but looking upon our surroundings. 

What do you think the benefits are of working on text + image compositions using analog (non-digital) processes? 

Sometimes using the digital device for working on the text we may rely on the font choice and also the restrictions that were originally applied to the computer. I will be lazier on creating my own image, instead, I'll use the existing geometry shapes for the grids. If I didn't explore first, what I think of is only squares and rectangles kind of grid. (even when you search online, all the grids on the internet are only these...) 

However, through drawing on paper, I will just follow what I see and sketch it. Actually, I resulted in a lot of different angles and special grids from it. 

reflection of my research

I actually really enjoy doing this project, I love making a different kind of collage and layouts. People will experiment with different kinds of textures and colors.