Collection: Part 1

Research

FIRST PROJECT - IDEA FACTORY 

Darwinism (theme) ** 

- A theory/belief 

- evolution 

- development 

- change / on-going 

- atheist* (we make the object ?)  + religion ( God created ? like it's existing at the beginning)

Theory of Charles Darwin** (from WIkipedia) 

All species are starting from small / inherited variations.  

Increasing their ability to compete, survive, reproduce. ↵  

E.g. Ape / Monkey → human 

Atheist*

Absence of beleif in the existence of deities.

Rubber (material) 

- erasing things

- smooth

- chemical smell

- other form of rubber?*

Example

1. floor
  2. electrical wires
  3. zip 
  4. connection of window frames and the glass
  5. car tires 
  6. rubber sole of the shoe
  7. car bumper
  8. blu tag
  9. condom 

(from Wikipedia) 

Natural rubber -- consists of polymers of the organic compound isoprene + other compounds + water 

- large stretch ratio

- high resilience 

- extremely waterproof

- strong , unpleasant odour 

1. liquid form of rubber - melt when heated & returns to solid when it's in room temperature

Protection (process) 

- care

- motherhood ↔ human nature ⇒ aggressive? ( helicopter parents, tiger mum) / submissive 

- valuable 

- selfish 

- nationalism 

- culture 

Materials

The complete sourcebook shoes (By John Peacock)

Thames and Hudson 391.413 PEA

In most of the shoes, especially in the photo (the women shoes) have the rubber sole. 

To prevent people from slip down 

Polymorph

When the temperature raises, it will "melt" and you can make it another form of rubber, it will remains to solid form when it cools down. 

This material inspires us to find a rubber material to fit our "product", which can lead the rubber heat up and contract and cool down to resume the original size. 

Took in archway campus

Took in Archway Campus

The blu-tag, proecting the walls from having a stain on the wall

Rotation moulding

SECOND PROJECT - TYPE

Pierre Jeanneau

I love the "Demons" word in 3D form, and the irregular black shape behind it make the words pop out. Also there are some small yellow words at the side for more detail infromation. It's a really good reference for color combination, as I wanted my poster to be dark but at the same time have to pop out all the details to let readers notice.   

Pierre Jeanneau

It really stands out with the red and black in the whole poster. 

Automatico studio (switzerland 2002) Cocarno film festival (895 x 1280mm)

The poster fits so right to the theme : a film festival. It makes it looks so scientific and cool, with the color black and yellow. It inspires me to make a cool tone poster, yet using yellow to pop out the words and the things they wanted people to notice. 

Frankenstein

who creates a monster or a destructive agency that cannot be constructed or that brings about the creator's ruin. 

I decided to use Frankenstein as my word, as it matches with the pointy angles and pointy shapes of my letter. 

I like the background of this Frankenstein image, some lightning and thunderstorm which made Frankenstein more "scary" in this photo. I wanted my poster to look scary as the word I'm creating is having a creepy atmosphere. 

using the font in this poster as a reference. 

Stranger things (inspiration of poster)

From the two "stranger things" logo, I can understand how colors and the background colors work to differ the atmosphere. When the background is black, the words stand out and show a mystery feeling. 

when the background is white, it seems so clean and it didn't show as mysterious as the back one does. It just seems a pretty logo. 

THIRD PROJECT - IMAGE

Social + Projection (of stereotypes)

social can be in a positive way and a negative way. 

e.g. Instagram, facebook, Tumblr. 

In a good way: people use it as a stepping stone, meet friends and get to know more about them in the real life. Be more connected to their "private" life, and give care or love when they are depressed. 

In a bad way: poeple will only type and chat with their friends online, never meeting people. At the most negative side, having social anxiety.

social --- dictionary

adjective
 1.relating to society or its organization.
2.needing companionship and therefore best suited to living in communities
  1.  

Stereotypes

People will always have a "frame" for people. Like pink id for girls, blue is for boys, long hair is for girl and short should be for boys. They will also judge people by their looks. What I saw from this picture below totally reflects how to society thinks. When the girl doesn't wear a coat, and wear more makeup or doing her hair. She is being called a "slut", and "showing off her assets", however the real her maybe just want to look nice and receive compliments from others.

for the 30sec video.

I decided to project a society problems into our short clip. one of the major problem is "racist". although people say, nah we don't have racist now but the existing problem is people will still focus on "black" instead of their real character. 

Screen shot from Zosuen youtube channel

The girl standing in the middle is Zoe Suen, the youtuber. Her videos is always so aesthetic and inspiring. When she is standing in the crowd, looking to the camera and captured her facial expression and moves, naturally my eyes will focus to her. It feels like she is the most unique one in the crowd, showing her own true self to the audience. I would like to add some similar concept to my short film.  Showing everyone are unique, there are no stereotypes. 

Screen capture of Seven Deadly Sins

The above screenshots are some of the scenes in the video of seven deadly sins of Edward Enninful. Beats collaborate with Nick Knight and SHOWstudio to present The Seven Deadly Sins, which is a film honouring 25 years of fashion by the acclaimed stylist.

Seven sins 

• Gula (gluttony)
  • Luxuria/Fornicatio (lust, fornication)
  • Avaritia (avarice/greed)
  • Superbia (pride, hubris)
  • Tristitia (sorrow/despair/despondency)
  • Ira (wrath)
  • Vanagloria (vainglory)
  • Acedia (sloth)

What I appreciate this video the most is how they play with the effects and input songs include rapping or kind of dark feeling. A heavy base music makes the video and  meaning more dark, also in my opinion it makes people more focus to what it is happening in the video. They also input a introduction about different models representing different sins when they start talking about a new sin. 

In the video, effects like zooming in polygons ,having red paint dripping down, rotating the images or just adding loads of photos in a collage style, it made the video lots more interesting. As it is not just showing the modelling shoots and describing the sins in a verbal way. It inspires me to add some computer effects into my 30 sec video, maybe in a collage style or having maching sound effects. Surely I will explore more images or videos like this and earn how to add into my video.  

CHICKEN SHOP DATE IS THE DATING SHOW WE ACTUALLY WANT TO WATCH

I was inspired by the illustrations on this poster. I thought that we could also draw some illustrations on our video, act as the society added a lot of their own thoughts and wanted to fix or change the people with "problems". As I think that, the artist who drew things onto a photo is also because of they wanted to add their own thoughts onto it to make it more lively and interesting. 

FOURTH PROJECT - PRINTMAKING

Italian town linocut by Di Oliver

Esther Stocker

Text box

Steve Edwards art (printmaker)

William Blake (1757 -1827) The Fire of God is fallen from Heaven 1826 Engraving

This is the second method of print production, first used in the 1430s. It was engraved by William Blake after his own design. He was using those sharp pointed tool called a burin. According to the description shown, it was filled with printing ink once it was cut and printed using a rolling press. The great pressure transferred the ink from the lines to the paper. 

I saw this art piece when I'm walking around the British Museum. It immediately made me think of my printmaking project. As they use the similar technique that we are taught to use, we also cut our own piece of work in a cardboard and print it out by inking and rolled into the machine. What I was amazed about this piece is that they are demanded an absolute control of burin when they are cutting. But I've already found cutting cardboard hard for me, it's too easy to cut out those fine lines and make the drawing go wrong. 

Unfortunately, these engraving skills are undervalued today, but I'm still grateful that I can admire at these techniques in the museum and learn more about printmaking. 

Abraham Bosse "a printers workshop"

I also took this picture in the British Museum, it shows us how engraved plates are printed. There is somebody inking the plate and some wiping of the remaining surplus ink, while some are printing the sheets. It looks so similar to the inking process we did at school. It was so amazing that I can see this process in a drawing, also the process hasn't been changed much.

Screenshot from a tv drama series.

FIFTH PROJECT - LAYOUT 

Choi Hung Estate

Choi Hung Estate is a residential area in Hong Kong. It is quite famous for the colorful grids. When I look at one of the powerpoint slides in the lesson, it made me thought of my hometown, all the windows are residential areas are usually in grids, we don't have pointed roof but rectangle roof. 

Some rumors say that the paint it colorful is because they wanted to make the building interesting but not like ordinary residential areas. Also, it matches the name Choi Hung Estate, Choi hung which means rainbow in Chinese. 

It gave me more information and concept about layout and grids. However, I don't want to just use the same rectangular grids in my project, I wanted to explore more different shapes of grids. 

Image from Japan's magazine

firstly, the bright orange colour in the background attracts me to look at this page. The layout is quite different from the ordinary one, somewhere between untidy and tidy kind of feeling.  I love these vibrant colours as it matches with my booklet theme, I think using these vibrant colours as my background can attract people looking at it, like what this magazine does to me. 

寺山修司 レミング ポスター Design Tztom Toda

Boiler Room Zine on Behance